I wish you could search for photos on your computer because let me tell you, it took me a long time to find photos of these damn beans from October 2015. Yep, that is how long I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for.
It came back to my mind when I gave the recipe for a friend a while ago and she encouraged me to ‘pop it up on my blog’, so let’s just say it’s been on my to-do list for a long time – along with a million another recipes.
Due to ongoing persistent gut problemos, I can no longer eat beans/garlic/onion etc etc without blowing up like a balloon so a gal can dream about past times eating this delish thing. In saying this, I have substituted the beans for sweet potato and tofu before and it works a treat!
Makes a large amount (enough to feed 4-6 people for dins)
1 tbsp rice bran oil
1 brown onion, diced
1 red capscium, finely diced/sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely diced/minced
2 tsp cumin. ground
handful fresh coriander, stems (optional), save leaves for garnish
1 tsp coriander, ground
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tin diced tomatoes
1-2 tbsp tomato paste, no added salt
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
2 cob of corn/1 tin of corn, drained
fresh red chilli, diced, (optional)
pinch of salt, to taste
1 tsp sugar, if necessary
1. Heat oil in a very large sauce pan
2. Saute onion and red capsicum for 3-5 minutes until soft and golden.
3. Add the garlic cloves and saute until fragrant. Then add spices and coriander stems and cook off.
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, corn and beans and simmer for 20-30 minutes until sauce has thickened and reduced.
5. Taste and add salt, sugar and chilli if necessary and to your preferences!
6. Serve with whatever you like (serving suggestions below). Garnish with coriander
- As burritos/tacos – get some corn/wheat tortillas, shred some lettuce, mash some avo, make a cashew sour cream, salsa and eat the beans in those.
- Burrito bowls – add some brown/white rice, Mexican beans, lettuce, avo, fresh tomato and lime and devour.
- Make nachos with the beans, cheese and toppings