To tell you the truth, I’ve been loving experimenting with vegan baking. I am so surprised at how the vegan counterparts compare to the ‘real’ (dairy-filled) deal – totally comparable.
Moist, wholesome ish (despite a bit of sugar and white flour), and absolutely moreish, this banana bread is so super easy to make and most ingredients you should have on hand. Banana bread has to be one of my favourite things to bake, and let’s face it, eat!
Here we go..
Vegan Banana Bread
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 flax egg *
3 tbsp rice bran oil
3/4 cup of almond milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced and line a 20 x 10 cm (or approx) loaf tin with baking paper and a lil spray of oil.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (eg: second half of the ingredient list) in a large mixing bowl, leaving a well in the centre.
- To make almond ‘buttermilk’, add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk and allow it to thicken.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the mashed banana, almond buttermilk, vanilla essence, oil and flax egg and stir until incorporated.
- Incorporate the two mixtures but gently pouring the wet ingredients in the well of the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour mixture into lined tray (top with some coconut flakes for extra pizazz) and bake for 40-45 minutes depending on oven and tin size. Banana bread will be golden and a skewer will come out clean when done!
* to make flax egg: mix 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water, set aside for 5 minutes to set to the consistency of an egg! Cool, huh?